TOPOLOGY & CLIMATE
The average annual rainfall is 660 mm and varies greatly in distribution and amount from year to year. Drought years with low erratic rainfall, are frequently experienced. About 90 % of the rain falls between December and April, and there is usually a dry spell in February.
The average minimum temperature is 15.5°C, the coolest month being August (13.8°C). The average maximum temperature is 27.5°C, the warmest month being November (30.2°C).
The soils are sandy loams on the slopes and clay loams along the valley bottoms. Soils are low in nitrogen and phosphorus, but adequate in potassium. The pH in the top soil range between 5.6 and 7.7, while that of the subsoil lies between 5.3 and 8.6.
The natural vegetation consists of deciduous thicket of Acacia, Cassia, Grewia, Commiphora and Lannea. At altitudes above 1,200m there is fairly open Brachystegia woodland, with interspersed grass.
- Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Animal Health Research
- Devising improved livestock husbandry technologies for different classes of livestock ranging from management systems to post-harvest practices, uses and marketing for smallholder farmers in the zone
- Minimisation of incidences of livestock diseases and pests
- Introduction, evaluation and maintenance of improved pastures and forages for distribution to smallholder farmers in the zone
- To carry out research in Pasture and Forage that will increase and strengthen the production of quality pasture and hence improve animal productivity
- Improvement of dairy cattle productivity in the central zone of Tanzania
- Identification, Characterization and conservation of different strains of small ruminants from various agro-ecological zones
- Latitude – 60 20’S
- Longitude – 360 30’E
- Region – Dodoma
- District – Mpwapwa
- Seaport – Dar-es-Salaam (430 km)
- Bus stand – Mpwapwa (2 km)
- Railway Station – Gulwe (17 km)
- DIRECTOR TALIRI MPWAPWA
- P.O. BOX 202 mpwapwa
- Tel.No.+225 (026) 2320853